Your Legend Fitness equipment was manufactured using quality components, designed to offer maximum performance and minimal maintenance. However, in times where thorough cleaning and disinfecting of your strength and fitness equipment is necessary, it is important to note that certain cleaners and cleaning methods may cause damage. Read on for some important tips regarding taking care of your Legend Fitness equipment.
General Cleaning Tips:
- Avoid using harsh cleaners and chemicals on your Legend Fitness equipment. Chemicals such as ammonia, bleach, solvents, lacquer thinners, acetone, Windex, Simple Green, 409, Lysol, oil-based lubricants, or similar products can damage the powder coating and dry out upholstery.
- Stick to soft cloths to wipe all surfaces. Abrasive materials, like steel wool or hard bristle brushes, should be avoided as they can scratch surfaces.
- To avoid color transfer, use white cloths on upholstered surfaces.
To Clean Legend Fitness Frames and Other Powder Coated Surfaces:
- Use a mixture of mild dish soap and water to wipe down frames.
- Dry frames with a clean, dry cloth to prevent corrosion or rust from forming.
- Frames can be polished with a good automotive or non-appliance wax.
For Cleaning Upholstery on Your Legend Fitness Equipment:
- Use a standard vinyl upholstery cleaner or lanolin-based hand cleaner to wipe down upholstered surfaces. These products will help the upholstery keep its natural flexibility, reducing the chances of cracks forming over time.
- To disinfect upholstered surfaces, a quaternary ammonia compound or citrus-oil based disinfectant is recommended. Alcohol-, phenol-, and bleach-based cleaners should not be used on upholstered surfaces as this can damage the finish and color of the Naugahyde.
- To restore luster, lightly spray the upholstery with a spray-on furniture wax. Wait 30 seconds and then wipe it off with a clean white cloth.
- Avoid color transfer by always using white cloths for cleaning upholstered surfaces.
Cleaning Tips for Selectorized Machines:
- Make sure guide rods are clean by using a soft, clean, dry cloth to remove all dust and dirt.
- To lubricate rods, spray a silicone- or teflon-based lubricant onto a cloth and wipe the rods. Avoid oil-based lubricants, as these can damage powder coated surfaces.
- Wipe down and inspect weight stacks. Chips in the black coating can be covered with black permanent marker or matte black touch up paint. Light rust can be removed by spraying a rust remover on a cloth and using it to wipe down the stack. Cracked weights are a hazard and should result in the machine being placed out of service until the stack can be replaced.
An Important Note About Cleaning Legend Fitness Bars:
- Any chemical that has chlorine or chloride in it (such as bleach) will discolor the zinc coating on Legend Fitness bars (particularly the black coating on our Olympic Bar). The black coating will turn a green color, and is actually the removal of the zinc plating. This discoloration is purely cosmetic and will not affect the performance of the bar, however this discoloration cannot be reversed once it happens.
- In the event of a discoloration, it is best to keep bars oiled with 3-N-1 oil. The discolored surface no longer has the proper amount of coating on it and can rust. The oil will help prevent rusting.